The Crannóg in the Convent Lake
This is a child page of Our Monaghan
Summer 1983 was an exceptionally dry one. The water level in the lakes and rivers fell to an all time low. the low level of the water exposed the crannógs in the Monaghan lakes, where they are most numerous. An archaeologist from Dublin took the oppourtunity to examine the crannógs when they were exposed in this way. He found a broken quern stone on the crannóg in the Convent Lake. It is now to be seen in the Monaghan Museum. A quern stone was used for grinding corn.
The Lucht Tí Mac Mahons had their headquarters on the island. It was then a crannóg with a wooden stockade around it. There is a second crannóg under the water between it and the canal.
In 1501 the Lucht Tí Mac Mahons were attacked by the Farney Mac Mahons, at a spot called Béal Áth an Choileir, which was where the head of Dublin Street is now.
In 1504 the Maguires of Fermanagh attacked Monaghan. The Mac Mahons chased them out across the Bragan mountains, home.
In the time of the Mac Mahons the crannóg was known as Rath Tully Crannóg.